Shin Godzilla proved to be king of the Japanese Academy Awards, taking home the grand prize of “Picture of the Year” and several other key awards.
The movie proved to be a smash hit upon its release in Japan last year. Made for a budget of $15-Million, the latest Godzilla movie to be created in The Land Of The Rising Sun since 2004, Shin Godzilla would go on to make $75-Million before the conclusion of its box office run.
Aside from pleasing fans, the movie also met with critical acclaim, thus it's not too surprising to see the movie nominated for multiple awards. The film would go on to emerge victorious in nine of the ten categories it was nominated in including:
- Picture of the Year
- Directors of the Year – Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi
- Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography – Kousuke Yamada
- Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction – Takayuki Kawabe
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction – Yuji Hayashida and Eri Sakushima
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording – Jun Nakamura and Haru Yamada
- Outstanding Achievement in Film Editing – Hideaki Anno and Atsuki Sato
Shin Godzilla arrives on Blu-Ray on March 22, 2017 for the Japanese market. There is currently no official word on a release over here in North America, nor has Toho announced plans for a sequel.
For More From Infinite Earths, Be Sure To