Follow by Email

Wednesday, 12 July 2017

Blomkamp On The Fate Of Alien 5


Last month, director Neill Blomkamp sadly revealed that his long-teased Alien 5 was officially dead. Many fans were crushed by the news as the film was looking to continue the story of Ellen Ripley following the events of James Cameron's Aliens, bringing back fan-favorite characters such as Cpl. Hicks and Newt in the process and ignoring the events of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.

Speaking with Funhaus, Blomkamp opened up a little bit more about the project, revealing that he originally wanted to introduce a completely new character before Sigourney Weaver expressed interest in returning to the role of Ellen Ripley once again. 

"I met Sigourney on Chappie and I had a different idea for an Alien film I wanted to make. So I had this idea for a story set in the world of those two first films that was not a continuation of James Cameron’s." 

"It was just in the world of it and it had a totally different character that was the lead character. Because my assumption was that Sigourney would just never make another one. I told her about it on Chappie and she was like ‘No, no, no! I actually would make another one because I felt like Ripley’s story didn’t end correctly."


After Weaver came on board, Blomkamp retooled his film as a direct sequel to Aliens.

"So I went back to Vancouver and, while I was editing Chappie, I started to think about what I would do with Sigourney as basically a sequel to James Cameron’s film. I spent about a year working on it with only Sigourney knowing and I hired one really awesome concept artist. We put together essentially a script and all the artwork and that’s what I went to 20th Century Fox with. They seemed really into it and Ridley [Scott] came on as producer, and then it just unraveled."

This is truly sad.

Blomkamp's film sounded as though it had real potential, something capable of breathing new life into the Alien franchise. But, it's like they say - you can't always get what you want.

Source: Funhaus

For More From Infinite Earths, Be Sure To  
https://www.facebook.com/Infinite-Earths-293285607457542/
Or
https://twitter.com/IEarths
 Or
https://www.instagram.com/infinite.earths/

1 comment: